Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The college season is now officially over.

Congratulations to the UConn Huskies, who won the National Championship Tuesday night by defeating Louisville, 76-54, and completed the season with a perfect record of 39-0. It's an astonishing accomplishment!

And with the end of the college season, the BasketCases' focus now officially shifts to the WNBA. Immediately below this post is our analysis, from the Mystics' perspective, of this Thursday's WNBA draft. In recent days, Atlanta GM Marynell Meadors has suggested she might use her overall #1 pick in that draft on a guard. If, as some now think she will, she selects Renee Montgomery -- who just led the Huskies to that perfect season -- the Mystics will have everyone on their wish list left on the board -- McCoughtry, Coleman, and C. Paris -- at the positions needing the most attention.

It's going to be a nailbiter on Thursday. The good news is that we can't really lose among that group!

6 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO, if I had any say in the Mystics front office AND McCoughtry and Coleman were still on the board, I would pick MC. As freakishly talented as Angel is, as a senior, one would think that at this point in her career, she would have developed her leadership skills to more than just being able to control her facial expressions and impulse to BERATE her teammates. It was very disconcerting to see her scream at Burke because she missed a pass last night...which BTW, was a bad pass. MC while probably more polished and less athletic (GASP...which is still athleticism that is out of this world) seems more emotionally ready to be part of a professional team. Not to mention that if we could have RISS and LANG on the court again would drive me straight to the season-ticket holder ranks faster than you can say "Coleman for THREEEEEEeeee"!!! Go Terps! Go Mystics!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments above...I think both would give the Mystics a solid player (and I will admit that Angel is probably the better defender), but MC has a winning, unselfish attitude that's far superior to the way McCoughtry carries herself on the court (and in my opinion, while McCoughtry will likely turn off the casual fan, Coleman will excite them).

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous BetsyinDC said...

I'm happy for Montgomery, Charles, and the UConn players. However I dislike Geno almost as much as I hate the Yankees and the Cowboys...and that's saying a lot!

For the draft, I'm hoping it's Paris or Coleman. My only concern about them is they're probably physically and emotionally exhausted from the season/tournament and I'm worried they won't be able to contribute right away. But the Mystics can definitely benefit from either of them!

Fired up! Read to go!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the comments regarding Angel. I was leaning toward her because of her defense, but her actions last night put me off. It's too easy to revert to that behavior when things are not going well. I'm now firmly in Marissa's camp!

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angel can't shoot...

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No shot that the Mystics take KT? I am asking only b/c I have absolutely no idea whether Harding is actually going to be healthy....and how do the basketcases view KT's odds of success in the W?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home