Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Upon Further Reflection . . .

It's been four days now since we learned that the Mystics had parted company with THE BEST GM IN FRANCHISE HISTORY -- and we still have that same sick feeling in the pit of our stomachs. But now, as the days have passed, that sick feeling is sharing space with a feeling of anger. Anger at management's failure to reach an agreement with one of the team's most valuable assets; anger at the betrayal this represents of the commitment management made to fans when Angela was hired . . . a commitment that the instability, lack of long-term strategic planning, and the overall poor stewardship of the Mystics team (that had plagued the team since Day One) were finally at an end; anger at how little (and late) the fans were told; and especially, anger at how the expessions of dismay and concern from long-time, loyal, ticket-buying fans have, to the best of our knowledge, been met to date with utter and complete silence. How disrespectful. Basically, we're angry at how this whole affair has been handled (or not handled would be more accurate).

As of this writing (Tuesday morning), it is our understanding that not one word of explanation, commiseration, or even an out-of-office reply has been sent to fans who have written to the Mystics managment expressing their concern. We personally know many of the people who wrote. These are good people. Die-hard fans. Season ticketholders and others who for 13 years have used hard-earned (and in many cases very limited) discretionary dollars to support the Mystics team. That the team could not reach a "new deal" with Angela is not an explanation, it is, in our opinion, an admission of a management failure.

A number of our readers and friends have kindly shared with us the heartfelt emails they sent to Mystics management. The fact that, as far as we know, they have yet to receive the courtesy of a reply (not so much as a form letter "thank you for your concern") is another disturbing management failure. Management's unwillingness to offer any rational explanation for Angela's departure has even extended to the media. The Washington Post's Kathy Orton, who yesterday sought to find out why the Mystics had failed to re-sign THE BEST GM IN FRANCHISE HISTORY, also ran into a stone wall erected by the Mystics.

Meanwhile, this weekend, Monumental Sports, which owns the Wizards and Caps as well as the Mystics, held long-scheduled events for the fans of the other two teams. By all accounts, these were wonderful events, as they should be, and we are very happy for the fans of those teams. We don't for one second begrudge them the good time they had. But while Mystics ownership and management have been busy blogging about those wonderful events and what fun "everyone" had this weekend, nary a word (as of this writing) has appeared in their blogs about the utterly miserable weekend the fans of their other team -- the Mystics -- had. The worst weekend, as far as we are concerned, in Mystics history. Not one mention that one of their three teams just lost THE BEST GM IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. No words of commitment to that team's future stability; no words of explanation; nothing at all.

No, it seems that a cone of silence has descended over the Mystics' front office. The silence is deafening.

We think the loyal fans of this team deserve far better. We feel sick . . . and we feel angry.

25 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My feelings exactly. Mr. Ted "I answer all emails" Leonsis appears to be showing his true colors.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Sisters. And we will not let this go. If they think it will blow over, they are mistaken...at some point it will be the Mystics home opener and we will be heard...
Show some common courtesy, some courage Mystics management...if you have any.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger dcsportsfan said...

I remember Ted saying that he'd never treat the Mystics any less than he would with the Caps or the Wizards. Right now it really doesn't seem that way, and I already have emailed the organization about my concerns about the Taylor situation.

Maybe the Mystics staff got a bit too busy while working for the Wizards, I dunno... Since I have tickets for both teams, I like the integration, but you CANNOT tune out the Mystics when something like this happens, period. I learned about this through the back pages of the Washington Post!

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Basketcases for your continued honesty. I reached angry shortly after reading your original post. I just cannot fathom anything about this situation.

I too sent emails to the triumvirate and my account rep. My rep. was the only one who answered...with a sympathetic ear and a willingness to listen to my venting.

I'm going to send them emails every day. I've passed angry and gone onto furious!

original STH
B100

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in with everyone who is stunned and concerned. I am an original STH and -- for the first time -- see the possibility that I may be giving up my tickets. How much stupidity must we endure from ownership and management?

I sent an e-mail to Ted Leonsis, but no response. By the way, a simple response just won't hack it anymore. I want them to undo this travesty.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine my surprise.... I just got back into town after a long weekend away. A weekend of not checking the local sport's news. I open today's paper and what do I see? The Mystic's have stupidly parted ways with the best GM in the league. What is wrong with the management of this team? Just when we were heading in the right direction, they do something stupid like this. I've been a season ticket holder since the beginning and I've stuck with this team through thick and thin. Like all of the loyal fans of this team, I deserve an explanation of what the heck is going on. Unfortunetly, I already put down a deposit on season tickets for next year. Maybe it's not to late to get it back.
Thank you Basketcases for being here and letting me vent.

~ Another original STH

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Sue/Durham said...

Oh, and after sending voluminous messages about the Wizards on the MYSTICS Facebook page, they finally post a Q & A with a MYSTICS player (Langhorne) today, after completely screwing over the franchise. I certainly didn't verge on "friendly" with my response! This really is sickening.

Unfortunately, Crystal will be finding out what Alana already knows: what it feels like to play like an All Star while playing for a mis-managed franchise.

Ugh-ly.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not an original season ticket holder but have 10+ years under my belt. This is the first time that I have re-upped so early, and boy am I regretting it. For some reason this one hurts the most of all the stupid moves in the past.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not an original STH. Went to a couple games last year but around 7 games this year. I went to the games....because they were winning. I like sports and find it especially important to support female athletes. I find this situation to be crazy. I just can't comprehend a frachise that is finally successful, letting go their GM. It's not like GMs in the wnba are making loads of money. This situation just makes no business sense. The fact that Sheila Johnson has been mute is inexcusable. How can they say nothing? Again, I am new to watching the mystics (terp bball fan) but not sure I want to buy season tickets now. And I was seriously considering it. Atleast a 6 pack plan. But I doubt their stability. And I feel the Mystics org not explaining this situation disrespectful to every women's basketball fan.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger xwomynjoc said...

I've been in shock since I heard this very sad news so, I haven't said anything till now. Of all the crap that this founding fan has indured over the 1st 11 years (the last 2 yrs have been promising and fun)once again, the crap continues. When will it end? All I can ask is...Please, Mystics help us deal with our anger, make the right move here and give us some hope, somehow. I don't know, I still can't find the words to fully express my feelings about this. Just sad.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a 10 year STD. I do not regret having reupped early. Yes I don't like what has happened, but I like our players so much that I do not want them to be punished by lack of support in the stands. I agree that something show of support for Angela needs to happen, but let's not forget our troops playing on the floor.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that a new GM shares your appreciation for the current group of players, so it's hard to even count on that.

I hate this for every one of you folks. Absolute crap.

And a special thanks to any of the ticket reps that might happen to read this. I swear WNBA reps have the worst job ever, having to deal with the repercussions of stupidity by their bosses.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about support the players. No matter who they are, in order for the WNBA to remain we have to support the players. If we don't, then the teams will fold. Protest in other ways if possible, but let's not take it out on the players no matter what team they are with.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we actually know if the Mystics make money for the owners? The only sentiment I have not read thus far and worst ending of all - the owners want to dump/sell the franchise. I am not trying to start a rumor (honestly) but just saying it could happen - ask Detroit, Sacramento, Houston. And then that would be worse then losing the "best GM in history".

I concur the ticket agents have a painful job to please/serve both mgmt and the fans.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger dcsportsfan said...

I don't think the Mystics make much if any money for Monumental Sports. But they're not bankrupting them either. I also don't think Ted wants to sell the Mystics or fold them (if no one wants them). It's also to the Mystics benefit that they also have priority in scheduling now that he owns it all.

Don't worry too much about the ticket agents and guest services. After the Wizards sale, the Mystics and Wizards staffs have all combined to form one basketball business. The ticket agents who sell Mystics tickets sell Wizards tickets too.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right.... Must support the players no matter what so I will get my mini six plan ticket package. This whole situation just makes me so mad.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The story hasn't even been on wnba.com. Isn't that weird?

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In general, yes. In terms of the WNBA, not even a little surprising. Probably the only way there will be any answers now is if Taylor or somebody else close to the situation risks being blackballed from the league permanently and talks.

And how shameful is it for an organization to have put a gag order on their players? That should REALLY help bring in free agents, shouldn't it?

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Vera said...

I have been a season ticket holder with the Mystics for 10 years and for 7 years with the Maryland Women. Going to the games is the one thing that my daughter would do with me in public that didn't embarrass her especially during those crazy teen years. In past years I paid for my tickets with my yearly bonuses. In this economy there are no more bonuses (or raises for that matter), so I really have to be able to justify my discretionary spending. As much as I want to support the team, I simply refuse to give any more of my money to an organization that doesn't respect the people who have supported it the most.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I renewed early as well, and though I'm pissed at our inept owners/management, and have voiced it via email, Twitter, and Facebook, I will be in the stands supporting the players... Mo Brown

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WaPo picture blurb just confirmed my earlier thought that it was Dr. Johnson about to embrace Tiger Woods on Friday. I wish she would embrace Mystics die hard fans and talk to us.

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One week later and I am still in shock. Very worried about this org and still I am still mad at the org for not at least calming the fears of the fans. Clearly they don't seem to care and if I was a player, I would be a little concerned. I will however attend games ( if they are winning). I do want to support women living out their dream. Let's hope Julie plank stays with the team and they get a solid replAcement for a GM.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

The thing that should frighten every mover and shaker in the WNBA is Mystics fans working together. You've got a central rallying point, 13 seasons of frustration, and a lot of people.

If y'all work together, y'all might even be scarier and more effective than Lib fans.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that Julie Plank is going to be resigned. She turned this program around and brought excitement to the game. She seems so positive, calm, and does a great job with playcalling. If she goes - I am GONE.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Julie plank will end up as GM and Coach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home