Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Save the Whales! As Sa’de Wiley-Gatewood’s debut as a Terrapin approaches, speculation has been running rampant about the REAL reason she transferred from Tennessee. She told the Diamondback last week that as she was playing against Maryland at the Paradise Jam a year ago, "I was thinking to myself, 'Why don't we play like that, pushing the ball, having fun?'" The BasketCases believed there had to be more to it than a girl just wanting to have fun . . . so we asked people who don’t know Sa’de for the real reasons they believe she transferred. Most respondents seemed to think Sa’de was a victim of culture-shock at Tennessee. So we asked for some examples to help our readers understand a little more about the cultural experience of attending college in Tennessee. The BasketCases have compiled those responses into a list that we've titled:
Top 10 Reasons to Transfer from Tennessee.

Number 10.
I was on my way from the “Knox-vull” airport to the campus, when my local cab-driver was pulled over by a Tennessee State trooper. The trooper asked the driver, "Got any I.D.?" and my driver replied "Bout wut?"
Number 9. When my family came out to Tennessee for parents’ weekend, they stayed at a local Knox-vull hotel. At one point, my Dad had to call the front desk to report a minor plumbing problem . . . he said "I gotta leak in my sink," and the clerk replied, "Go right ahead."
Number 8. Until you’ve spent some time in Tennessee, you can’t possibly understand why they need to have a law that says “Driving is not to be done while asleep”.
Number 7. For my first few months at UT, I thought my roomies had nicknamed me “Jeet” because before every meal they would address me that way. Eventually I learned that “Jeet” is an actual phrase meaning “Did you eat?”
Number 6. Did you know they have a $3 million State Lottery in Tennessee? The winner gets $3.00 a year for a million years.
Number 5. On UT's student registration forms, immediately after the box where you check your marital status, the next question asks: If married, relationship to spouse (check all that apply): (_) Sister(_) Brother(_) Aunt(_) Uncle(_) Cousin(_) Mother(_) Father(_) Son(_) Daughter.
Number 4. In Tennessee, "onced" and "twiced" are actual words in common usage.
Number 3. Be careful attending a “potluck” at UT, it’s legal in Tennessee to gather and consume roadkill.
Number 2. “Fixinto” is one word. As in, "Coach Summitt, I’m fixinto transfer to Maryland where people don’t use words like onced, twiced and fixinto."
And, Number 1. It’s actually the law in Tennessee that you cannot shoot any game from a moving vehicle . . . other than Whales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home