Tuesday, January 16, 2007

And The Winner Is . . . the Washington Mystics, who will be hosting the WNBA All-Star Game on Sunday, July 15, 2007. That was today's big announcement by the team and the league, who held a press conference this afternoon featuring WNBA President Donna Orender, Mystics' owners Sheila Johnson and Ted Leonsis, new D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, and the Mystics' (and D.C.'s) very own Nikki Teasley. Also on hand were Olympic Gold Medalist and Women's Sports Foundation exec Dominique Dawes, as well as WNBA All-Stars Katie Smith and Swin Cash.

The Mystics invited season ticketholders to the event, and even provided free food!! A good time was had by all. The best line of the day came from our new Mayor (Yo, Adrian!) , who said that he'd turned down talking points for the event from his staff because all he needed to say to WNBA fans was, "Visit D.C. Spend money." Sounds like a good idea!

Summing it all up, Sheila Johnson -- self-proclaimed "hostess" of next season's ASG -- said of the game, "this is a fitting occasion for the Mystics as we celebrate 10 years in Washington."

Mystics season ticketholders also learned today that we will be able to purchase our own, or the best available, seats for the ASG. The BasketCases believe this is unprecedented for the game (the league typically takes over the best seats for corporate types), and give a big shout-out to the Mystics' front office for negotiating this for their best fans.

Photo Credit: D.C. BasketCases

2 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on my last experience at the all star game here, I wouldn't have bought a ticket @$200 each again. However, if I get my season ticket seats, I will probably buy them.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know about that. I had an absolute blast and brought 30 people from my office who had never even been to a WNBA game who all also loved it!

I can't even tell you though how excited I am that we get our own seats. I'd happily pay $200 for my seat, but luckily, I only have to pay $70!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home