Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Odd-Year Curse Continues

The season is over. Even though the Mystics pulled off a spectacular last-second win over Connecticut this afternoon, the Liberty have clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot by beating the Sky. And while it will be tempting to blame the Mystics' failure to advance to post-season play on a number of factors (an 0-8 start comes quickly to mind), there's really only one explanation -- this is an odd-numbered year.

Yes, it's that simple. As long-time DC fans know, the Mystics are the victims of an odd-year curse. The team has made the playoffs in every even-numbered year (except their just-for-fun 3-27 franchise start in 1998). But in odd-numbered years, they have never made it into the post-season. For those who don't have a calendar handy, that means the Mystics made the playoffs in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006, but went home after the regular season in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, and now 2007. So while the Mystics treated their fans to some very exciting basketball in the waning days of this season, it seems (for now at least) there is nothing powerful enough to beat back the odd-year curse!

But the good news is that 2008 is an even-numbered year! Now that's something Mystics fans can really look forward to! (As well as a top-five draft pick!)

P.S. The BasketCases have already re-upped for next year's season tickets . . . have you?

9 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bet we have and we're already looking forward to next season.

...But thank goodness we'll have Terps games to attend in a mere 3 months :) Basketball is all that gets me through the cold months.

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have a $50 deposit on next year and no playoff games to go to...

I made the train trip and the win at the Mohegan Sun was awesome. The train ride back started jubilant and hopeful. Thanks to my fellow travelers who gave us frequent updates on Chicago and NY.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my $100 deposit, so, Lord-willing, I should be back for the 2008 season. Wouldn't that be a kick-in-the-pants to get the top pick?

Thankfully, the MLS playoffs are drawing near and I have my DC United season tickets. The Skins are beginning soon and I have tickets there. But, of course, the Lady Terps and Lady Eagles (of American University, my alma mater!) will be taking the court soon!

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... of course I've re-upped or next year! I re-up every year, and purshcase play-off tix every summer... even the odd years! :o)
GO MYSTICS!!!
Now, bring on the Lady Terps, Colonials and Vols!!!!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely got my tix... and ditto on the thanks to all the fans who went to CT. We had a blast and I was SO FREAKIN' PROUD to be a Mystics fan!! Esp. when Currie sank that last shot. I have never yelled so loudly in my life!

Oh, and folks should know that we were so loud the fans two rows infront of us put tissue in their ears... and that was before the game even started! KT

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Basketcases, for another fine year of Mystics musings and commentary. Thanks for providing an outlet for others to express opinions as well. Since I just can't get into women's college BBall (until the Big Dance), I'll see you all around lottery, time (we're in Whoo Hooo!!! - tounge in cheek) draft time, and FA signings. 2008 will be the Mystics first 20+ win season!!!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, does anyone realize that we took three of four from Connecticut, including both games at the Mohegan Sun? Historically, we've had problems against them.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments this season. I think next year is OUR year!!! Do you think we'll keep Tree as our coach?

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a silent reader of your blog from the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than the Post for obtaining real info. I, after 10 years, will not be renewing. I have not enjoyed the quality of play from the team this year nor in the past few. Maybe, if things change next year I'll reconsider, but I am frankly worn out. So, I will count on your blog for a valid analysis and attendance at a few games next year for my progress check.

Thanks for a great job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home