Wednesday, August 06, 2008

More From Petey


Dear BCs,

I'm reporting in again, this time from a bit farther south, in Colorado Springs. Behind me is the famous Garden of the Gods. And believe me, the rock formations, the hiking trails . . . they truly are heavenly! This morning dawned clear and beautiful, so I decided a walk in the Garden was just the perfect way to spend a few hours. And it was.

In the far background of the picture you may spot another rather famous landmark . . . Pikes Peak. And yes, I did make it to the summit at 14,110 feet, yesterday. And as on Mt. Evans, the views were amazing! But I must confess that this time I arrived at the top via the world's longest Cog Railway . . . no hiking involved. The Cog Railway is a great way to make it up the mountain, except for one minor inconvenience . . . no bathrooms!

Everyone tells you when you spend time in this part of the country that the only way to enjoy the higher altitudes of the Rockies is to "stay hydrated." They say that dehydration can lead to headaches, dizziness -- or even death. Even the conductor on the Cog Railway reminds you to consume liquids enroute. The railway trip to the summit is 1 and 1/2 hours long. A lovely scenic trip, one I highly recommend. However, if you take the advice to "stay hydrated," let's just say it gives new meaning to the old slogan, "Pikes Peak or Bust." Here's a photo of me at the summit of my second fourteener.


There's plenty more I've seen and done since I last wrote you, but I'm heading out again tomorrow morning, so I'll just have to sign off here.

Best, Petey

P.S. For the record, it says "on" (not "under") the handrail! And, btw, I ran into a couple of Oklahoma State fans at the Garden of the Gods this morning. Together we relived the Cowgirls' thumping of OU last season. That 45 point performance by Andrea Riley --- wow! Made me realize how much I can't wait for start of the college season again. Go Terps!

Photo Credits: Traveling Panda Photos, Inc.

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am anxious for the NCAA season to begin. I copied the last 5 Under the Shell programs to DVD last night and watched them in the process. It really pumped me up for the season to start. I hate to wish the summer away but I am sooooooooooo looking forward to October!!! Tell Petey to enjoy his vacation. Gerri

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am excited for the REAL (in my opinion) basketball season to begin - I'm almost wholly disinterested in either the WNBA or the NBA - not as good of a product, although my interest in the W has picked up since Lang & Harp were drafted, so maybe one day I will be on the W bandwagon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home