Monday, May 14, 2012

FULL CIRCLE


If you’ve been wondering whether the BCs have been away, the answer is “yes!” Since we last posted, we’ve crossed the Atlantic Ocean by ship, driven around the rim of a dormant volcano in the Azores, visited one of the oldest cathedrals in Spain (Santiago de Compostela), stood on the hallowed ground of one of the bloodiest battles of the Second World War (Omaha Beach in Normandy), and walked around the prehistoric stone circle of Stonehenge – among other things.

That’s why we missed blogging about the Terps’ Annual Banquet and the Rebounders’ Mini-Golf Fundraiser. We were traveling.

But if you’re wondering whether that’s why we haven’t blogged about the Mystics this pre-season, no, it’s not about travel . . . it’s about choice.

Friday marked the sixth anniversary of the DCBasketCases blog. In those six years, we’ve written hundreds of posts, provided well over a thousand links, and shared numerous photos as well as anything else we thought our readers – primarily Mystics and Terps fans -- might enjoy. Those six years of blogging have been a lot (a lot!) of work. But mostly, our blogging’s been a labor of love. And that’s what made it worth doing.

We still feel that way about the Terps. Love the team. Love the program. Love blogging about them. But we no longer feel that way about the Mystics.

That franchise stopped being fun for us in October 2010. (No need to revisit that time. You know.) After that, our feelings about the Mystics franchise changed. We tried blogging about the team last summer. Readers undoubtedly could sense that we weren’t writing about the team with the same excitement, enthusiasm or humor that we had before. Frankly, it was all labor, no love.

No more. This season we won’t be Mystics bloggers. We now think of ourselves as fan-bloggers of the Terps and of women’s basketball. But the Mystics are no longer part of our blogger identity.

Sixteen summers after the WNBA was launched, we feel like we’ve come full circle. In 1997, there was no Washington Mystics, just a new professional basketball league for women. There was no blogging back then. But we followed the league, pulled for our favorite players, and simply loved that the WNBA had arrived, providing an opportunity for its talented athletes to perform in the USA in front of fans like us.

We still feel that way. We want the WNBA to survive and thrive. We look forward to seeing Crystal Langhorne have another All-Star season. We’re happy that Alana Beard will finally be playing ball again. We’re thrilled that Kristi and Marissa will again be wearing the same uniform, albeit the yellow and purple of the Sparks, not Maryland red. There’s a lot that should be fun or interesting (or fun and interesting) about this WNBA season. And we’re excited; just not about the Mystics.

So we may decide to blog about one of those fun or interesting things from time to time . . . and, of course, we’ll try to keep our readers up to date about any Terps news. But we won’t be blogging regularly about the Mystics. That’s a thing of the past.

We doubt that many of our readers will be surprised by our decision. You probably saw it coming. But we do appreciate that some readers may be disappointed that ours will no longer be a Mystics-specific blog. However, the blogosphere is big, wide, open to all . . . and free! So, if you care enough, there’s plenty of opportunity for you to blog about the Mystics. The BCs would be happy to pass the torch.

To those who now will no longer be regular visitors to the BasketCases blog, thanks for reading us. And, don’t forget, you’re always welcome to drop in at any time.

Photo Credit: DC BasketCases

20 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll definitely keep checking to see your posts about the WNBA in general. I understand and respect your decision regarding the Mystics.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger dcsportsfan said...

Hi BC's,

I enjoy reading your posts, whether I comment on them or not. I also respect your reasons why posting on the Mystics has become too much. Thanks for being great bloggers.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough. You have very good reasons for not following the Mystics any more, just as those of us who do still follow them have very good reasons for doing so as well. As someone who came here solely for Mystics analysis/opinions/commentary/snark, I say, "It was real, it was fun." Best of luck to you!

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your work over the years. We'll miss you at the games.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A true loss but totally understandable. Your blog will still be on my must "check it out list". After being "VIP" season ticket holders for the Mystics from day one, we did renew finally, but not at that level.

We also will continue to support the WNBA and certain players, but as I told a co-worker, I used to be totally excited about every new WNBA and Mystics season- now I have no expectations for this franchise and this fanatic's detachment has outpaced any excitement. I have let go of the past and of my devotion to this team.

Enjoy your new found time, and just know that your efforts were really appreciated and will be sorely missed. You provided the best coverage of any outlet I follow.

SR

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to your posts about the Terp ladies and understand the choice you made regarding the Mystics. Thanks for "Liking" my Facebook photo with Brenda last week. See you in November. Just look for the bald guy sitting in front of you.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your commentary and hope you continue to blog about WNBA in general, if not the Mystics.

Do you think Laura Harper will get picked up by anyone? It would be a gas if she went to LA :-)

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You both are great. The Terps are our love too and no one publishing captures the "Essence" of their games like you do. It's a blast to read your stuff. I thought that Mr. Leonsis would make a difference, but maybe he has enough problems with the Wizards. Too bad. When the powers that be in the Mystics camp are so clueless, it's hard to be anything other than apathetic.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Sheila done screwed up now.

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll still be checking out your Terp commentary! Maybe the Mystics will become a team you can take an interest in again...keeping my fingers crossed!

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand completely when it comes to the Mystics. I'll miss your blog and hope you do comment on the WNBA in general.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait - were you on the Norwegian Sun transatlantic cruise?

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your past coverage. Your humor, insight, accuracy and many other fine qualities have me clicking on your blog first thing every day. Years ago I discovered your blog by accident through the Post, found it so entertaining that I spent the day reading all of the previous posts. I look forward to future posts and wish you the best.

wbb fan

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their plan is working....run the franchise into the ground and then nobody will miss it when they fold!
We are watching it before our eyes....alienate players and fans by trading away fan favorites, owners who dont attend games or respond to any questions, hire a coach/gm who has a horrendous history in coaching,etc....
wait until you see the very low attendance #'s this year and how bad this team will be....they have become irrelevant and since nobody attends the games and with the Nats winning, the media coverage will be even less. If nobody cares, nobody will miss them when they are gone. If they folded 2 years ago it would have been total chaos....but with no DC Basketcases, no fans....who will care? I feel sorry for the team and employees when this happens. Lang, Mo and Matee will get picked up in dispersment draft and good luck to the others. So sad but reality. Just watch....

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Jill said...

Thank you BCs for all of the writing that you did over the last 6 years. I have obsessively read your posts over the last few years. I loved your humor, your insight, and your appreciation of the team and the game. Like you two, I have lost my love for the Mystics. For the first time in a lot of years, I'm not excited about the start of the season. That makes me pretty sad. I can't believe that it has come to this.

Jill
Die-hard Women's Bball fan

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your coverage of the Mystics over the years--Sheila should see this a sign that some of the hardest core Mystics fans (I include myself among that dwindling number) are finally jumping ship. Bravo to you on this! And looking forward to your coverage of the Terps. I understand they are different but the difference in how they treat their fans/customers is night and day. Again, THANK YOU and have a fantastic summer.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So so sad. Love Terps so glad you are still covering them. I'll follow the Mystics until they fold. Seems like that's their plans by the way they are running things.

PEACE & LOVE!!!!!

That should give you a hint to who I am.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger fr mike said...

PEACE! Welcome back! I will be looking forward to your blog. It is the best sporting blog on women's basketball. I am happy to see that you will be streching out to cover, not only the Terps, but also the other teams in the WNBA. That is good for the WNBA. Now how about that Kristi last night for the Sparks!! and Marissa and my AB. I think they have a good chance for the Championship. With Kristi and Rissa, what joy to you! GO DCBCs!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to see you go but understand, as others have said. I'm a founding fan and questioned my renewal last year but renewed anyway. I was able to move seats closer to the floor - the good news is I really have to crane my neck to see the scoreboard so at last night's game I didn't know the score nor how many minutes were left in each quarter - made the pitiful game much easier to watch. I doubt I will have to 'decide' whether or not to renew this year....looks like the Mystics will fold due to complete mis-management - what a waste of a fan base. I guess the only way we will ever see Sheila at a game now is if she is surrounded by youngsters so she won't get booed.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Stewart said...

I, too, decided to renew just to support the WNBA in general. But, as I was waiting for the gates to open Saturday, the excitement I used to feel about opening night just wasn't there for me. It was nice seeing a lot of the friends I've made over the years again. But, for whatever reason, the positive vibe I used to have no matter how the team was playing just wasn't there. And I get the feeling that, barring some unexpected turn of events, this could very well be my last season, too. I gave up my Skins season tickets after 2007 because I got tired of management flipping off the fan base and destroying the football team I grew up loving. As much as I hate to say it, the Mystics may join the Skins on my bad list. I'm even skipping Saturday's Tulsa game to go to the DC United match -- normally, the Mystics always got the nod of there was ever a conflict.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home