Saturday, June 16, 2007

Coulda Shoulda. The Mystics lost at home last night to the Sparks, 89-80. It was a game that the Mystics could have and should have won. The Sparks were missing three key starters, including two of the greatest players ever to step on a court -- Lisa Leslie (pregnant who had a baby Friday morning) and Chamique Holdsclaw (retired) -- and injured point guard Temeka Johnson (three players who combined for an average of 43 ppg last season!). Despite being so severely understaffed, the Sparks managed to out hustle, out rebound and find a way to beat a team that was playing at home with all its stars and starters. Last night's game was hardly an auspicious send-off for the Mystics as they prepare to head out for a long road trip.

This Mystics' 10th anniversary season isn't making much sense. And it certainly hasn't been much fun.

4 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are still fun -- the picture that accompanied this entry made me laugh. I didn't expect a laugh after this BIG disappointment. Tree's statement ("Rollins said, "We kind of expected it, I hate to say it. With the win we had against Phoenix [Wednesday], we came out and just couldn't get it going.") really irritated me. I EXPECTED A WIN over the Sparks current lineup. It was off to a good start (6-0)...

Did you attend the pregame Chalk Talk? Any word on Laurie's diminishing playing time? It went down to less than 30 seconds last night...

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to say the product that Ms. Johnson and Hargrove are attempting to put on the floor isn't worth watching any more. I saw a glimmer of hope during the Phoenix game but alas it was just that - a glimmer.

I think Tree wants to run an up tempo game with the ball transitioning down the middle of the floor but for some reason it isn't happening. I hope the next coach gets the opportunity to be successful by getting Hargrove out of the picture and the responsibility and authority to hire and fire the players. Until that happens this team will be a bunch of individuals aimlessly drifting and my hope is CoCo and Laurie get to a team that appreciates the skill and enthusiasm and desire to play as part of a team effort that they bring to the game.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually spoke with Linda before the game and I asked her about Laurie's diminishing playing time. She told me that it's simply a matter of not wanting to take minutes away from those guards who are playing in front of her.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the Discover card fan lounge after the game I asked Linda and Marynell about putting Laurie in, even as a decoy. The story I got was her defense was a liability; she's not big enough or fast enough to stop other guards. Later on I wondered to myself, who is our defensive stopper now? At least Laurie's three's would add some offense! Maybe if she played more than 10 seconds, we would see some defense. Not happy with the answer at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home