Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Hi BC Readers! Petey here.

Petey in secret location

First,I want to apologize. I see from some of your comments that you really miss the BCs' reports. (Of course you do!) And it's all my fault. Not just that the BCs haven't posted, but the Terps' 2 home losses as well. I told them that maybe if they'd been there in Comcast -- instead of flying across an ocean, sailing through foreign waters, and bouncing around three contintents, all to help keep me safe -- the BCs' presence and support might've inspired the Terps enough so those close losses would've been close wins. They say that just isn't true. It's not my fault. But I still feel some responsibility anyway.

But the good news is that the BCs should be back soon. Thanks to friends in high places, they tell me that the paperwork that ensures I won't be deported to China should come through any day now. (I can't wait!) In the last couple of weeks, I've learned -- as have the BCs -- that the wheels of international cooperation don't turn as fast as we wish they would.

While we were waiting for a deal to be struck, I asked the BCs not to post because I was afraid our location could be traced . . . and I might end up as Peking Petey! Nevertheless, just as a precaution, for now I'm keeping my current location secret (that's why I asked the BCs just to snap the above picture of me -- to prove I'm alive and well -- on the patio outside our hotel room, in the privacy of early dawn, instead of posing in front of any recognizable landmark.) But while I can't yet tell you where I am, I asked the BCs if I could guest-blog, and tell you a little about where we've been . . .

A little Gaudi goes a long way

The 3 of us caught a flight out of DC, the day after the BCs' last post. Two of us traveled with valid passports in airplane seats and one of us snuck out of the country well-concealed in carry on luggage. One can't be too careful! After a short stop in Zurich for a little misdirection (and very expensive chocolate), we ended up the next day in Barcelona. We spent a few days there to develop a plan (1 if by land or 2 if by sea) and found a ship arriving in port ready to provide us with transportation, and plenty of disembarkation options along the way -- just in case we needed to make a quick change in our itinerary. While in Barcelona we enjoyed some of the city's loveliest sights, stuffed ourselves on tapas, drank some cava (but still prefer champagne), and really made the best of our unplanned getaway.

Petey saying adiĆ³s to Barcelona

Petey visits the Coliseum

The ship then took us to a port near Rome. Once again, the BCs carried me off the ship, eluding detection from the Italian authorities who seemed to have little or no interest in unnecessary paperwork . . . like passports. Whew! We spent a rainy but otherwise wonderful day touring Rome and the Vatican and sampling the best pizza any of us has ever eaten! But we decided it was best to keep moving, so it was back to the ship and off to another port.

The Parthenon atop the Acropolis in Athens

A day and a half later (after sailing through some very rough seas), we arrived in Athens. At first, the Greek authorities wouldn't clear the ship and allow the passengers to disembark. I nearly had a panic attack thinking that the unexplained delay was because they were looking for me. But we were finally permitted to go ashore and we had another fabulous day of touring, picture taking and sampling the local cuisine.

The Library in Ancient Ephesus

But when you're trying to avoid deportation, the BCs and I decided it was best to keep moving, so the next morning, we went ashore when the ship docked in Izmir, Turkey. With help from a wonderful local guide, we explored the excavated ruins of Ephesus and learned a considerable amount about that ancient Roman city. It was absolutely fascinating and it really helped me forget my problems and feel like I was on vacation, instead of making a great escape.

I wish I could tell you where we are headed next, but (as I said earler) I'm nervous about giving away my present location. Let's just say the last couple of days have been an incredible adventure . . . full of sights and sounds (and smells) that are unforgettable. The BCs and I can't wait to get home so we can share more with all our friends and loyal readers about this amazing journey.

Until then . . . Go Terps, Beat GA Tech!

13 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been an avid follower for three years and have never posted because until now, I never quite realized how much I have come to depend on your site until you took this trip. Thanks for ALL you do in support of Women's Basketball.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to bust you, Petey, but your Photshop skills are "bearly" passable. I suspect you're actually in seclusion at still another undisclosed location. We respect your privacy, though, and commend your bravery on undertaking your secret mission in support of truth, justice, and the three point line.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger BasketCases said...

Dear Anon One: thank you so much!

Dear Anon Two: We wish we had the skills to Photoshop. The pix are unaltered; if Petey looks a bit flat, well, think how anyone would look after traveling across the Atlantic in carry on luggage.

-BC

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to make sure Petey and the Basketcases can get back into the US! We miss you!!Safe return!!

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Stewart said...

Stay safe, Petey. Though you're trying to remain underground, try to get out and enjoy yourself a little bit. You've definitely earned it. The Lady Terps will need your rejuvenated self once you return to beautiful downtown College Park!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger hodie said...

Just to get the word out in case fans are reading this: because of the storm on its way, the UMD game against Georgia Tech tomorrow has been moved up to 4pm (http://www.umterps.com/genrel/020410aae.html)

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my confusion. It's just that Petey has the same expression in each photo...guess he's just got a big old grin glued on his face the whole time!
I hope Petey & the BCs are back safe - with the snow coming down in the DC area right now, it's going to be a while before any more flights come in or out. There will probably be lots of mid-Atlantic games that are going to be rescheduled ovewr the next several days.
Anon 2

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the 'Cases get home safely!! It's Friday at 1pm or so and the airports are shutting down. I know Petey, being a panda, can handle snow, but I'm concerned about the 'Cases! Will be sending positive, warm thots their way!!

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are killing me with the turnovers and missed free throws. We should be #1 or #2 in the league right now. Killing me!!

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get back, BCs (and Petey), you're not going to recognize this young team. They've lost the last 3 home games (2 against ranked teams) by a total of 5 points and have battled admirably. They are still learning, as any young team would be, but they have come a long, long way since you left. We miss you but think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the progress the younguns have made in your absence. :) Ger

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see no progress in the turnover and the free throw percentage categories. Every game...they are losing because of these 2 issues. I am sure it's frustrating for them because as we can all see, they are very talented and can compete with anyone in the ACC. They don't give up so it's clear they have a lot of heart. I am still looking for progress in these 2 areas. Especially, the free throws. As Brenda said, no one is guarding you. You have to hit those to win games in the ACC.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Taylor, but I don't think she's ready to start. Barrett's stats show that she should be the starter...fewer turnovers and more points. I'm not sure why we're staying with Taylor at this point - I think she could learn a lot more coming off the bench. That said, I think she's a fantastic young lady and great Terp that will continue to grow and progress.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Talent wise I think Taylor might be better. However, she isn't quite ready to start yet. I think she will be a great player though. You can see the talent for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home