Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dances with Wolves Buffalo


Dear BCs,

So I'm not the only one traveling this break! Taj to Detroit and Tasha and Eshaya heading for DC! Quite a surprise, huh? I read your post [below] and I agree with everything you wrote. Like you, I didn't see this one coming. But what I have seen since I last wrote you is a lot of great stuff -- the Black Hills of South Dakota, Deadwood (the town, not the HBO series [though I did love that show]), antelope, wild burros, and coolest of all, buffalo . . . lots of buffalo!

I sure have seen some amazing wildlife on this vacation! Like the elk, buffalo (or, to be more accurate, bison) are very impressive animals. Large, independent, but also dangerous if you don't respect their space. The guides in Custer State Park warned us to stay in our vehicles and never, ever get close to the buffalo. They say if you come between a mother and her calf, Custer could be your last stand.

Of course, some tourists ignore the advice of the guides and get up close and personal with the wildlife despite the risk. I'm sure the BCs agree with me that park visitors should always behave responsibly while enjoying our country's wonderful parks.

Well, I have another busy day tomorrow, but before I sign off, I'd like to share with you something unexpected I spotted on my brief drive through Rapid City, SD this morning -- a piece of the Berlin Wall! Right here in South Dakota! At the time, I thought that would be the biggest surprise of the day, but that was before I learned about the Taj trade! You know, after seeing that piece of the Wall, it occurred to me that Rapid City's enshrinement of Communist Bloc memorabilia might explain why a famous daughter of that South Dakota community is now a Russian Olympian! (BTW, I shouldn't say this, but after seeing Rapid City, I'd seriously consider applying for Russian citizenship too, if it helped get me out of town!)

Best, Petey

Photo Credits: Traveling Panda Photos, Inc.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petey,
What great sites you've seen!! To me, the folks who disregard the Park's rules should, indeed, be culled from the gene pool. And they often are! As for the Mystics, Taj was our best player, right now. Even with her there was no guarentee of a playoff berth, but without her --- here we go again. Tasha Humprhey is a great young player and I can see we do have a good young squad. But too often, the younger players stay here, but blossom somewhere else! Example: Ashja Jones. It is tiring to keep waiting and waiting for a payoff. 11 years of holding two VIP season tickets may come to an end. See the team actually win something, then maybe come back!!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger posting-up said...

Petey! I'm SO envious of all the cool places you're traveling, and all the amazing fellow-mammals that you're meeting. Must feel like a Panda Rock Star Tour...?

Be careful, though. I'm worried about all those "off limits" daredevil things you're doing. Shouldn't your parents be taking better care of you?

Keep sending the postcards to the BCs. It's fun to see your travels!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home