Sunday, February 12, 2012

WHITNEY HOUSTON

RIP

The BCs were shocked and extremely saddened by last night's news that Whitney Houston had died at the far too young age of 48. Whitney, an amazing performer, had one of the most extraordinary voices we have ever heard. What an incredible talent . . . what a terrible loss. Our condolences go out to her family.

So much of Whitney's music was memorable. But the BCs' greatest memory of Whitney is, without a doubt, her singing the National Anthem at the WNBA's Inaugural All Star Game in Madison Square Garden on July 14, 1999. We we privileged to be in the audience and experience it live. To this day, Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner that day is our favorite moment of any WNBA All Star Game . . . ever.

We found this video of that performance on You Tube, and as wonderful as the clip is, it doesn't even begin to convey what it was like to hear this in person. We post the video as a small tribute to an amazing performer. We will miss her. Rest in Peace, Whitney.

6 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! As a 43 year old, I grew up on Whitney Houston. She had the prettiest voice I've ever heard in my life. I'm so saddened and shocked by her death at such an early age. My sympathies and prayers are with her family.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart dropped when I read the news from my alumni tweet. For me this one bothered and effected me more than the passing of MJ. I feel terrible for her family. Definitely will watch the Grammy's 2nite for their tribute.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very sad to learn of Whitney Houston's death - I grew up listening to her, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Prince. I can't believe 1/2 of that talented group is now gone from this Earth. May they rest in peace and may their children find peace here. I have pledged to ignore all stories written about these kids in hopes they can find some privacy, and ultimately, peace.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being of a certain age, some of Whitney's music was the soundtrack to my dancing in New York City clubs and parties-her songs, like a lot of music, can take me back to exact places (Fire Island) and times (summer). Waiting to Exhale was ground breaking ....We were just shocked and sadden....have been listening to radio tributes, while watching the Lady Terps on tv. We've lost another unique voice and talent.

Perhaps peace at last, away from all the expectations and jusgements.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am saddened by her passing and can hear her voice in my mind. Such a beautiful and loving sound. She touched more hearts than anyone will ever know. Keeping her family, especially her daughter, in my prayers. Thanks so much for sharing this special video.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home